We can assist you with Flight Examiner insurance and more at Bill Owen Insurance Brokers.

Flight Examiner Professional Indemnity Insurance

We have developed an exclusive Professional Indemnity Insurance package especially for Flying Schools, Flight Instructors and Flight Examiners. The security for this scheme is being provided by a Lloyds of London Syndicate.

Request a quote


Your personal assets could be exposed should you be successfully sued by a student or their estate due to your professional negligence as flight instructor/examiner?

Who requires this insurance?

  • Flying Schools – provides cover for the flying school & its instructors
  • Flight Instructors – cover should be provided by the training organisation that you are engaged by
  • Flight Examiners – provides cover to independent flight examiners not aligned with a flying school.

What is professional indemnity insurance?

Professional Indemnity is a type of liability insurance that provides protection against sums which you become legally liable to pay as a result of a breach of professional duty arising from any act, error or omission in the conduct of your business.

What does professional indemnity insurance cover?

  • Sums you are legally liable to pay as a result of an alleged breach of professional duty
  • Defence costs*
  • Costs for you to attend official inquiries*
  • Your court attendance costs*
  • Loss of documents*
  • Bodily injury (Optional for Flight Examiners Only)
  • Property damage (Optional for Flight Examiners Only)

*refer to policy wording for sublimits

Why do I need to purchase this cover?

Flight Instructors and Flying Schools – until now this cover has not been readily available in Australia in order to protect Flight Instructors and Flying Schools for sums they became legally liable to pay as a result of a breach of professional duty arising from any act, error or omission in the conduct of their business.

The risk has always existed, however the insurance has not been readily available until now.

Flight Examiners – prior to September 2014, Flight Examiners were known as Approved Testing Officers (ATO) and were delegates of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). Any Professional Indemnity Claims made against these delegates were previously covered vicariously by CASA, as the ATO was operating as a delegate of the regulator.

With the introduction of Part 61, which provides many changes to the licencing structure and regulations throughout the Australian Aviation Industry, delegates will cease to exist, as will the name “Approved Testing Officer”

Approved Testing Officers will, from September 2014 be known as Flight Examiners and as such will need to carry their own Professional Indemnity Insurance.

When do I need to purchase this cover?

Flying Instructors and Flying Schools – This cover is available immediately

Flight Examiners – In line with the introduction of Part 61 CASA will introduce a regulatory reform to modernise existing legislation which will become legally effective in September 2014.

After this date the Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) that currently provides protection to Flight Examiners will also change. The change to CAAP Admin (1) will then create an exposure to Flight Examiners, it is therefore recommended that you arrange cover no later than June 30, 2018.

What if my student is injured in the aircraft?

This policy will not respond however is it possible for the student to be deemed a passenger and therefore should be covered by the aircrafts liability insurance. You will need to confirm this with the aircraft insurer.

Will this policy respond should I be sued for an alleged breach of professional duty relating to tests conducted prior to the enactment of Part 61?

No this policy will not respond to allegations made against you before your policy was incepted.

How can I purchase this insurance?

To obtain Professional Indemnity Insurance you will be required to complete a proposal form and submit the form along with your resume, which outlines your experience and qualifications. Your resume can be uploaded via the quote request form located at the bottom of this page. Alternatively you can contact our office on 07 4052 1000.

How much cover do I need to purchase?

There is currently no guide as to the relevant level of coverage you require, however limit of indemnity options are as follows:

  • $1,000,000
  • $2,000,000
  • $5,000,000

What if I have a claim and exhaust my limit of indemnity?

The policy automatically allows for one reinstatement of your selected limit of indemnity, per policy period.

How much will this cover cost to purchase?

This will depend on a number of factors, such as your annual turnover, your aviation experience and qualifications, the number of students you instruct, number of instructors requiring cover, number of tests conducted annually, your location and claims history.

What if I decide not to purchase this cover?

CASA may no longer provide cover, and therefore you will leave yourself exposed to claims made against you. Imagine having to sell your assets to defend yourself in court!

If I cancel my policy, will I be entitled to a premium refund?

Professional Indemnity Insurance policies are generally non-cancellable contracts, which means that you may not be entitled to a pro-rata refund should you cancel your policy part way through the year.

What if I cease trading as a Flight Examiner?

You should maintain your Professional Indemnity Insurance policy in line with the Statute of Limitations, this is known as run-off cover.

Should I trade as a sole trader or an incorporated entity?

We are not able to offer advice in this regard and recommend that you seek independent legal advice.

Is this insurance available to operators outside Australia?

Unfortunately not. This scheme is available to Australian based operatives only